Posts filed under ‘TRF 416 development programme’

June 2010 update

Test update for the TRF416 experimental. A couple of tests have been accomplished during June to get a better understanding of the LIPO chassis. Generally the handling is quite agressive and that requires some work on the set up. Working on the flexing characteristics of the chassis and top deck have resulted in some good improvements. But the setup window seems quite small.

Latest update is a milled motor mount that will move the motor in sligthly for better weight distribution. It would be good to remove as much weight as possible from the rear left corner.

July 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

Developing the TRF416 LIPO chassis

The TRF 416 Experimental is a joint project with  

It all starts with ideas and a mockup chassis made from cardboard.

Designing and measuring the parts

Assembling it all together after receiving the cut carbon fibre parts

June 12, 2010 at 3:41 pm

TRF416 Experimental LIPO chassis

CAD picture showing the first version of the TRF416 Experimental chassis that is currently under development together with . 85 mm wide with many detail changes compared to the standard 416X. Full details will be shown when the first car has been assembled.

April 30, 2010 at 1:38 am

Kicking off the 2010 TRF 416 development programme

This week the 2010 TRF 416 development programme starts to prepare the car for the outdoor season 2010. This will be the most extensive programme so far. The main point is to optimize the car for LIPO batteries. Many new experimental parts planned to be ready in time for end of April when the testing starts. First out is the new Experimental LIPO optimized main chassis. Designwork has started .

March 20, 2010 at 11:44 pm

RC Outdoor 2009 season summary

During the 2009 outdoor season we did quite a lot of testing and a lot of new parts were tried on the 416. Owerall the car worked wery well. I found a good base setup. Often only minor changes was needed to adjust the balance of the car. The experimental upper chassis did a small change to the car but no improvement in laptimes.

ETS Andernach 2009

The ETS finale in Andernach Germany was the highlight of the season. Arriving well prepared with quite a lot of testing and a well prepared car hoping for an improvement of the result from last year. The car worked very well from the beginning and did not have any big disadvantage in the power department this year. But in the end the result was very similiar to last year when comparing the gap to the TQ result. A little bit disapointing as the car was good and I was driving better than in any other race in 2009, but the level of the drivers in this race was very high. But the most important thing is that the ETS races are great fun, RC racing cant be much better than this.

ETS 2009 Gallery


There are many areas of  improvement for the outdoor racing season 2010. Improving the handling characteristics of the chassis with LIPO batteries, need to put some focus on the braking  that is becomming more and more important. And there is some new suspension under work as well plus the 416 X that soon will be out.

October 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Building the 416 for racing part 7


ESC: GM Genius 120.  Endless choise of diffrent motor mapping possibilities even if it is not very user friendly. A lap top is needed when making adjustments. But it is still one of the best performing ESCs for prostock even when using any of the standard programmes. Brake feeling could be a little bit better though.

MOTOR: GM 10.5 for the Prostock class.

BATTERIES: GM LIPO 2 35C 5000 mAh with tungsten plates glued to the bottom






OTHER SPECIAL FEATURES: Tungsten chassis ballast weights, Non reversable temp indicator labels.motor temp label

Non reversable temperature label shows the highest temp reached on the motor can.Tungsten ballast

Tungsten used as ballast weight. Lot of weight in a small volume which enabels precise placement of ballast in the chassis.

August 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Building the 416 for racing part 6


Carbon fibre steering brace. This is custom made to be able to remove the aluminium brace to avoid interference with the upper deck like the aluminium brace do, if you run it disconnected that is normal, at least outdoors. steering brace



 All these carbon parts we received within one week after sending the CAD files to Fibrelyte, pretty impressive! Made from similar stiffness material as the standard Tamiya 416 WE chassis.

The first upper chassis is same as standard but with a cut out at the rear.

The second chassis is shaped in a way to add more flex around front of the motor position area. Both these are experimental parts just to see if their effects can be felt at the track.

July 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Older Posts


Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.